Cinnamon and Sugar
(Source: Amber’s Delectable Delights)
- 1/8 cup hot water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 warm water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4+ cups flour
- Coarse kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Butter or shortening (to generously grease cookie sheets)
In a large bowl mix together hot water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the warm water and brown sugar and stir until the brown sugar dissolves. Slowly add 4 cups of flour, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
Lightly flour counter. Dip your hands into extra flour. Knead the dough until it is stretchy and smooth. (Push it down and away from you with the palms of your hands, turning the dough as you work)
Grease cookie sheets generously with butter or shortening. Sprinkle greased cookie sheet(s) with kosher salt.
Preheat oven to 475. (It is very important that you grease the cookie sheets very well)
Using liquid measuring cup fill a large saucepan at least 1/2 full of water. For each 1 cup of water, add 1 tbls baking soda.
Divide the dough into equal sized pieces. Using the following 4 steps shape each dough ball into a pretzel shape:
- Roll the dough into a rope 14″ long and as thick as your thumb. Bend the dough into a U shape. (if you have trouble rolling the dough into a rope slightly wet your hands and try again).
- Cross one end of the rope over the other one. The ropes should cross about three inches from the tips.
- Twist the crossed ends, making a full turn. Fold the ends back, towards the middle of the U.
- Open the ends slightly to form a pretzel shape. Press the ends into the dough firmly.
Bring water into saucepan to a gentle boil (not too many bubbles) Use a pancake turner to lower each pretzel into the saucepan. Count slowly to 30. Then lift the pretzel onto the greased and salted cookie sheet (shaking off excess water back into the saucepan). Repeat until all the pretzels are done. Sprinkle some kosher salt on top of the pretzels and put them in preheated oven.
Bake for 8 minutes or until the pretzels are golden.
Garlic Parmesan Pretzels Add 4-6 cloves pressed garlic and 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese into the liquid ingredients before adding the flour.
Sun-dried Tomato and Basil Pretzels Add 4-6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tsp basil and 2 tsp parm cheese to the liquid ingredients before adding in the flour
- You can make the dough up to 24 hours in advance, just cover the bowl and store in refrigerator.
- These also freeze very well. Just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds to reheat.
- This recipe will yield 20-24 shaped pretzels depending on the size you make them.
- You can also make pretzel sticks with this recipe. Instead of rolling dough into pretzel shapes just roll into 2-3″ long ropes a little thicker than your thumb.