After years of making chocolate peanut butter cup cakes and cupcakes, I honestly didn’t think this kind of dessert could get any better. Then along came peanut butter dulce de leche.

I’ve got Peabody to thank for this new obsession but I wish I could say that I came up with the idea on my own because it really is a brilliant one.  Dulce de leche + peanut butter + heavy cream. That’s it. Three ingredients make up one of the most extraordinary fillings you could ever imagine.  We all know how dreamy dulce de leche is on it’s own but adding peanut butter? Oh mylanta!

So I’ve use this filling twice already and get the same knee-wobbling reaction from everyone who’s tried it.  It’s that good.  This time around, I filled my favorite chocolate cupcakes with it (using the cone method to cut out the cake), topped them with the best peanut butter frosting ever and then of course, threw a few obligatory bits of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup on top.  These cupcakes had people coming back to my cupcakes at Cupcake Camp New Haven two and three times.  When you’re faced with a room of 2000 cupcakes and you have repeat visitors, you know they’re that good.

I’m going to end this delicious post with a reminder about FoodBuzz’s Project Food Blog.  In case you missed my earlier posts this week, I’ve made it to the 2nd Challenge (The Classics – a foreign dish outside my comfort zone) and I recreated a dish without using a recipe called Irish Beer-Braised Bangers and Colcannon with Brown Sugar Gravy. Voting ends tonight at 9pm ET so please make sure you get your vote in if you think I should move forward to Challenge 3, Luxury Dinner Party, which I’ll be hosting this weekend regardless of the voting outcome. You’ve got to be signed up for FoodBuzz but if you’re not, it only takes a few seconds to do so.  Here’s what you do:

1. Click on the link in paragraph above    2. If you’d like to vote for my entry, click on the gray heart under the Buick LaCrosse symbol (be sure to read the entry post too!)    3. sign-up if you haven’t already.  You won’t need to sign up again for voting in subsequent challenges.

[print_this]

Peanut Butter Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
sources:
Devil’s Food Chocolate Cupcakes: Martha Stewart (yields 24-27 cupcakes)
Peanut Butter Frosting: Ina Garten (a double recipe will yield enough for 2 dozen cupcakes)
Peanut Butter Dulce de Leche: adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody, recipe follows

For the Peanut Butter Dulce de Leche:
(enough to fill at least 2 dozen standard cupcakes)

• 1 cup Dulce de Leche (I bought mine, you can make yours)
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • ¼ -1/3 cup heavy cream (depending on how thick you want your sauce/filling)

In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, heat together peanut butter, Dulce de Leche, and ¼ cup heavy cream, whisking the whole time until all the ingredients are fully combined and sauce is smooth. If sauce is too thick, add more cream. You want to make sure you can pipe it into the cupcakes, so add the extra cream in small amounts until you reach the right thickness. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken as it cools. Heat until warm.

[/print_this]

we love to see what you make!

tag what you make with #smellslikehomeblog on Instagram and follow along with me in my New England kitchen!

@smellslikehomeblog
  • September 30, 2010 at 10:55 AM

wow, that sounds absolutely amazing!

• September 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Wow! Amazing! 🙂

• September 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Gorgeous. Can I have one?

• September 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Peanut Butter dulce de leche? Yes, please!!!

• Blog is the New Black
    September 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Ahhhhhh. Oh.my.God.

• October 2, 2010 at 8:38 AM

holy cow i can’t believe i never heard of this before! this looks and sounds delicious!

• October 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Fabulous! Delicious! As if PB cupcakes couldn’t get any better!

• October 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM

SEriously, just when I thought it couldn’t get better….

• October 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

hurray for dulce de leche recipe! i happened to make about 5 cans of dulce de leche last week and i’ve been searching for ways to deal with it and thankfully, your post came in time 🙂

• October 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

beautiful presentation

• Diane
    October 4, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Can you tell us which of your chocolate frosted cupcakes in the background is? I’m in the mood for pure chocolate! Thanks 🙂

• October 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Ok… sold. Im baking them for fund raising!

• October 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Whoa, this is a great way to wake up. These look ahhhmazing!!

• October 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM

wow absolutely amazing. I am going to try these out asap. Thanks for sharing.

• October 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I can’t even explain how good these cupcakes sound, I don’t think I should make them because I will be very afraid of how good they will be but I still think I should make ’em!

• October 4, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I think I just drooled a little.. seriously all my fave flavors wrapped up into one delicious cupcake.

• October 5, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I love chocolate and peanut butter combination! Reese’s peanut bars are my favorite so thank you for posting a recipe that is perfect for my addiction! I am going to make it for special anniversary next month, maybe sooner as I do not think I can wait that long! Drool.

• Denise
    October 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

A friend is having a cupcake war party and I’ve been looking for something different to take. Well, I made these today (although I used Ina’s chocolate cupcake recipe) and they are to die for! My husband and co-workers gobbled them up so now I know this is the cupcake I will be making for the party. I did use the cone method to remove cupcake for the filling and had left over filling. So I should have enough to use for the next batch.
    Hoping I can just re-heat?
    I also used the Trader Joe’s tiny peanut butter cups for garnish!
    Thanks again for this recipe!

• smellslikehome
      October 6, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Hi Denise, Yes, you can reheat the filling – just warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds until you can stir it. Great idea to use the mini pb cups – I’ll have to make a trip to TJs the next time I make these. So glad everyone enjoyed them so much!

• October 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Those look so amazingly decadent and delicious! I love peanut buttery desserts 🙂 My co-blogger recently made peanut butter bars with chocolate ganache and they were amazing!

• Chris
    October 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM

These look fantastic, my fiancée and I are doing a variety of cupcakes at our wedding in lieu of a traditional cake and I think these will make an appearance.
    But could you elaborate on the method you used to cut out the cupcakes to prep for the frosting? You say “the cone method” so matter-of-factly but I’m just not much on baking so is it just what it sounds like, or is there a trick? I love the idea of having frosting inside the cupcake instead of just on top, but have never thought to try it.

Anyways, looks great and thanks for the idea!

• January 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I made these this week and holy moly are they good!! Trying to get them out of the house as quickly as possible now 🙂