It may seem like such a benign thing to be so excited about ranch dressing but I am. I’m not afraid to admit it. Like most of of us Americans, I was brought up eating bottled salad dressing. It’s just one of those convenience foods that we can’t seem to live without…like bottled ketchup and canned beans.
But did you realize that it will take you less time to make this dressing than it will to pick out a dressing from the massive variety the grocery stores offer these days? It’s true and it’s just as easy as throwing a handful of ingredients (most of which you’ll likely already have on hand) in a food processor. This is the recipe we use for our buffalo chicken pizza, for dipping some pizza bites, all kinds of raw veggies, pretzels and chips, on sandwiches and of course on salads. Pretty versatile and WAY easy, huh?
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (I use light mayo) or plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small bunch of chives or 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- Small handful of parsley
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients along with just ¼ cup of buttermilk in a blender and blend for 10 seconds. Check the consistency and blend in additional buttermilk as needed. Use less buttermilk for dipping or pizza “sauce”, more for dressing. Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge. Leftovers will keep 2-3 weeks.
source: adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride and The Gourmet Cookbook, 2004