Cream Biscuits

Perhaps the operative name for this recipe should be Dream Biscuits rather than Cream Biscuits.  I’ll admit that I’ve been fearful of taking on homemade biscuits but this recipe has changed my life.  With one bowl, a wooden spoon, and less than 10 minutes of time, these biscuits are ready to be baked without any plausible biscuit catastrophes.  There’s no worrying about pea-sized pieces of butter or fretting about whether the butter is cold enough; you’ll mix all of the ingredients together, do 30 seconds of kneading on the counter top, pat out the dough, cut out rounds, and bake – amazingly simple with extraordinary results.  These cream biscuits are high-risers and show off beautiful layers that you expect with a homemade biscuit and they will be the perfect addition with breakfast, soup, stew, or chili, and casual or holiday dinners (like say, the big one coming up this week).  I can also see them as being an excellent vessel for sliders or egg and cheese [and bacon/sausage/spinach/etc.] sandwiches since they aren’t tough and crumbly at all.  They are pretty much perfect biscuits and like I said, they are my dream biscuits.

Cream Biscuits

[print_this]

Cream Biscuits
source: The New Best Recipe by the editors of Cook’s Illustrated via Cook Like a Champion

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Instructions:

1. Place oven rack in the upper-middle position and preheat oven to 425º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of cream with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter, leaving behind any flour left in the bottom of the bowl. Use the remaining 1/4 cup of cream to moisten any flour left in the bowl and add to the dough. Gather into a ball and knead for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
  3. Using your hands, shape the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Using a 2 1/2-inch floured cutter, cut the biscuits into rounds and place on prepared baking sheet. Reshape the dough once to cut additional biscuits. If desired, the baking sheet can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 hours before baking. Bake biscuits until golden brown, about 15 minutes, making sure to rotate halfway through baking.

Yields: 8 biscuits

[/print_this]

Cream Biscuits

• Prep Time: 10min
  • Cook Time: 15min
  • Yield: 8 biscuits

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon table salt
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream

Instructions

• 01

Place oven rack in the upper-middle position and preheat oven to 425º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

• 02

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in 1 ¼ cups of cream with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter, leaving behind any flour left in the bottom of the bowl. Use the remaining ¼ cup of cream to moisten any flour left in the bowl and add to the dough. Gather into a ball and knead for about 30 seconds or until smooth.

• 03

Using your hands, shape the dough into a ¾-inch thick circle. Using a 2 ½-inch floured cutter, cut the biscuits into rounds and place on prepared baking sheet. Reshape the dough once to cut additional biscuits. If desired, the baking sheet can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 hours before baking.

• 04

adapted from The New Best Recipe by the editors of Cook’s Illustrated via Cook Like a Champion

we love to see what you make!

tag what you make with #smellslikehomeblog on Instagram and follow my adventures in and out of the kitchen.

@smellslikehomeblog
  • November 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM

These sound so yummy! What a nice biscuit!

• November 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I love this recipe. I have been using it as a base for many recipes over the years. Scones, biscuit topped chicken pot pie, cobbler and many more. It is just so easy and makes the best biscuits every.
    One of my most fun and easy recipes. Always turns out great.

• November 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM

What a great idea to avoid the hassle of the butter! I cannot believe I’ve never heard of this before. Wow. Thanks.

• November 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I made this exact same recipe for breakfast last week, and I can vouch for its ease and deliciousness! I had trouble limiting myself to 1 – I could have easily scarfed down the whole batch!

• November 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

These biscuits look beautiful – and tasty of course. I love the picture with jam. Looks like it came out of a magazine. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• November 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Sold. They look beautiful, I trust your opinion about their simplicity, and I will therefore be making these on Thanksgiving. Thanks!

• November 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM

These really are dreamy. I love that I can make them whenever, without the fuss of cutting butter and making a mess in the kitchen. Yours look gorgeous, especially with that jam/jelly!

• November 21, 2011 at 7:11 AM

These are the best looking biscuits (or scones as we old englanders call them!) I’ve ever seen! They have the dreamiest rise – I’ll definitely be making these!

• November 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM

What a revelation! Cutting in the shortening or butter was the one step I always disliked.

• November 23, 2011 at 4:13 AM

I need a lot of these biscuits for the jars and jars of my berry marmalades and jams that line my fridge…I swear I need to have everything cleared up because stuff will accumulate again by end of this week…Thanksgiving leftovers and after party to-go ziploc bags.
    They look so delicious just by themselves, and easy to prepare…Thanks for sharing!

• November 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I have to try these, I’m all for shortcuts. I love how high they’ve risen. I’m assuming they could be made as drop biscuits, too? (That’s how lazy I am)

• November 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Wow… so moist and fluff too..

• December 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Gorgeous biscuits! You’ve inspired me to keep trying for a biscuit that rises high…

• Ana
    December 17, 2011 at 11:49 PM

These were amazing – thank you! By far the fluffiest, flakiest biscuits I’ve tried. Maybe you need Southern genes to make the butter/shortening biscuits, because mine usually turn out like hockey pucks. These were so easy to make and delicious, even for a biscuit killer like me. Thank you! 🙂

• December 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I made these for our Christmas dinner and they were fantastic! So simple, but tasted wonderfully rich. I have a feeling these will make frequent appearances on our table. Thanks for the recipe (and the beautiful photos!)

• February 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM

These look wonderful. Have you ever tried making them with white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? I try to make as much of our bread as possible with whole grain and would love to try these with one of those flours.

• February 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Laura: The white whole wheat would probably work since you can typically use it interchangeably with AP but I’m not sure about the w.w. pastry flour since I’ve never used it before.

• Holly
    April 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I made these and it seemed way too much cream for the flour. The dough was so gloppy I had to spoon it into muffin tins and it took forever to bake. That said, it tasted delicious but next time I’ll use only 1 cup cream.

• April 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Not sure if you started out with only 1 1/4 cup cream but you can always add a little more flour to firm up a loose biscuit dough.

• tara
    April 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

These look delicious, I was looking for an easy, quick way to make homemade biscuits for our weekly breakfast for dinner meals. Has anyone ever tried to make the dough ahead of time, or even put everything together minus the cream to make it easier after work?