Growing up, I was all about cherry-flavored candy canes – you know the rainbow-colored ones! These days candy canes come in all different flavors so theoretically, I should be in heaven with all the choices, but for some strange reason, as an adult I have developed this insane love for peppermint. And these brownies are exactly what satisfy every craving I have at Christmastime. Rich chocolate and peppermint brownies have a layer of milk chocolate chunks inside and are topped with Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses…and they will make any holiday package or treat tray sparkle! Both Kyle (who only mildly likes peppermint desserts) and I truly fell for these brownies and I had to wrap quite a few up to freeze before they all mysteriously vanished from the house. Luckily though, I’m in charge of desserts again at Christmas so pulling them out of the freezer will make for a quick and easy addition to my dessert extravaganza!
- 8 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 (1.55 oz) milk chocolate bars, broken into segments or 6 oz milk chocolate (I recommend Callabaut), chopped coarsely
- 1 bag Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, wrappers removed and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water; heat, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chocolate mixture with the sugar and eggs until well blended. Whisk in the peppermint and vanilla extracts and the salt. Whisk in the flour just until incorporated.
- Spread half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Layer with the milk chocolate pieces. Spread the remaining batter evenly over the milk chocolate pieces. Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven but maintain the oven temperature. Sprinkle the chopped Candy Cane Kisses over the top of the brownies and return the pan to the oven for 3 more minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool to room temperature. Chill the brownies until the candy topping has firmed up. Slice and serve.
Yields: 36 brownies