A few weeks ago, I talked about my breakfast vice and I how I remedy it.  Today, I’m revealing to you that, like so many other Americans, I have a Starbucks addiction.  And [lucky for me?], in the past month this addiction has been compounded by the fact that until last night, we still didn’t have cable or internet (actually, still no internet until Friday) at the new house. This of course, wasn’t due to lack of trying, but because the frickin’ cable company can’t get their act together and get us hooked up to the cable on the street.  It seems that two and a half months of my pleading with them isn’t enough to get them to do their job.

But I disgress.  My point is, I’ve been spending an ungodly amount of time in my local Starbucks (and Panera) in order to get connected so that I can pay bills, look for a new job, shop online, hit up Pinterest, and blog…you know, the important things.  And I’m not really complaining about not having TV for a month (we’ve had an awesomely quiet house as a result) but in all this time spent at Starbucks, I’ve really taken to the iced passion tea lemonade they offer, a drink I discovered last summer and has been so completely appropriate during the recent 70 degree weather we’ve had here in March.  But as you’re all well aware, Starbucks isn’t cheap so I decided to make this favorite of mine at home – both to save money and to reduce the amount of time I spend sitting at those tiny wooden tables on too-hard chairs wasting time I could be spending at the gym.

And when I tell you how easy it is to make this iced passion tea lemonade home, I’m not kidding.  Brewed Tazo passion tea (as recommended by “my” barista), lemonade, and homemade vanilla syrup are all you need – SO simple!  After the tea and syrup are chilled, you’ll shake everything together with some ice and be able to sit back and enjoy an exact copy of this awesome summery drink.  It’s a little tangy and a little sweet and totally refreshing.  I like mine lightly sweetened with a little extra lemonade (for your reference, when I order a grande at Starbucks, I ask for just two pumps of syrup) but really, make it completely your own.  Add more or less syrup or lemonade or leave the lemonade out all together if you just want the sweetened tea – it’s up to you!  I made a big batch (7 bags of tea and almost 2 quarts of boiled water) so that I’ve got it in the fridge at the ready for when a craving hits.  And by the end of the week, we’re scheduled to be reconnected to the rest of the world so at the very least, I’ll be able to sit on porch in the mornings with a big glass of this ice tea lemonade and connect with all of you!

Iced Passion Tea Lemonade

Yield: One 12 oz drink

The vanilla simple syrup recipe below makes considerably more syrup than you’ll need for one glass of this tea lemonade but it keeps well in the fridge for a few weeks. Make the whole (or half) amount and keep it for more tea lemonade or to add to coffee.

Ingredients

For the vanilla simple syrup:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • For the passion tea lemonade:
  • 8 oz brewed Tazo (or other brand) passion tea, chilled
  • 2 oz lemonade (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 ½ tbsp vanilla simple syrup

Instructions

1. To make the vanilla simple syrup: In a small saucepan, bring the water and the sugar to a low boil over medium-high, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar dissolves, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and let the simple syrup cool. Transfer to a mason jar or other airtight container and store in the refrigerator. (See note above.)
  2. To make the passion tea lemonade: Combine tea, lemonade, and 1 1/2 tbsp simple syrup in a mason jar with a lid or another sealable container. Shake the mixture to combine (or stir vigorously in a glass) and pour over ice. Serve cold.

Source

sources: Smells Like Home, inspired by Starbucks | vanilla simple syrup adapted from Annie’s Eats

• March 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM

This is so full of goodness!! Yum!

• March 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

mmm, iced passion tea is one of my favorite starbucks treats too!

• March 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM

That sounds so good! And Tazo’s Passion happens to be one of the only teas that I like 🙂 I’m going to have to go get some lemonade and make some. I’ve never had the Starbucks version.

• March 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Love this stuff, can’t wait to try it at home. I loved flavored iced teas, can’t believe I haven’t tried Passion fruit yet. Thanks for posting this one, Tara!

• March 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

This is one of my favorite things at Starbucks! You have no idea how excited I am that you made this! I seriously cannot wait to try it on my own, thanks for sharing!

• Sam
    March 22, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Walmart has bigger tea bags of the Tazo passion tea now. It’s made for iced tea and you only need to brew one tea bag for 2 quarts of tea. I’m thinking I might have to try that!

• March 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sam: I’ve heard that it comes in larger bags for iced tea – I’ll have to look around!

• Nina
    April 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM

yumm can’t wait to try this! My hubby is from Bermuda but he lovvess drinking from those mason jars! He has officially been southernized 🙂

• April 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM

My brother & I were trying to replicate this yesterday! I’m excited to try yours =)

• April 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I made it (& blogged it) & am drinking some now – thanks for sharing!!

• April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ohhhhh…this is one of my favourite drinks at Starbucks! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I’ll definitely be making this one for sure!

• taylor
    April 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You can actually leave out the syrup and it will taste just the same 🙂

• Leazah
    June 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I am a former barista at starbucks and this recipe is right on the money I would like to let you know they now sell the big passion tea bags so you can make alot of tea at one time instead of lots of little bags (the big ones are the same as what we used at work just in nicer packaging

• Bailey
    September 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I get the passion iced tea for the house then brew some up and add some crystal light lemonade flavored packets and sweet n’ low. Taste just like Starbucks version

• Yvonne Ryan
    January 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

My simple syrup turned to rock….help

• January 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You probably boiled it too hard. It just needs to be at a low simmer for the time instructed (10-15 minutes).

• Alex
    February 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Just tried making a splenda version of this and it turned out quite well! I used just about a cup of splenda, a cup of water, and just under a teaspoon of vanilla… shook it up in a jar and I keep it in the fridge. I cold brew my tea by throwing a couple of teabags and some filtered cold or room temperature water in a jar and letting it sit in the fridge overnight. Then, when I’m ready to have a glass I put a couple of teaspoons of the splenda-syrup in a glass, pour the tea over and stir. Delicious!

• taraliptak
    June 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Well, based on the ratios in the posted recipe, it’s easier to give you amounts that would yield a little more than a gallon – hope that’s ok!

Steep 14 tea bags in 4 quarts of boiling water then chill the tea until cold. Mix the cold tea with 1 quart of lemonade.

You should have plenty of vanilla simple syrup for this much tea with the recipe posted above but I’ve been making it this summer without the syrup and I don’t miss the syrup at all. Hope it turns out well for you!!