Every morning, I fight against my breakfast vice: a bagel with cream cheese. Without a doubt, I could eat a bagel with cream cheese every single day of my life and never get tired of it. My metabolism, however, does not agree with this way of life. So on most mornings my breakfast consists of a toasted multigrain English muffin with either peanut butter, raisins, and a sprinkle of cinnamon or sweetened cottage cheese and for the most part, I’m truly satisfied with these options. But when I need a change of pace, I make myself a healthy egg sandwich like this one with spinach, feta, and sundried tomatoes on my favorite multigrain English muffin. It’s a quick breakfast to throw together on busy mornings and I love the fact that it’s so filling that I don’t even think about anything else to eat until lunchtime. All in all, I never miss the bagel with cream cheese when I’ve got an egg sandwich like this one to look forward to in the morning!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stemmed
- 4 sundried tomatoes, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 2 eggs beaten with a dash a water
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz crumbled feta
- 2 English muffins (I love Thomas' Light Multigrain), toasted and buttered (optional)
- Heat oil in a 10" or 12" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted; stir in the sundried tomatoes and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the eggs into the spinach and sundried tomatoes and add the garlic powder, oregano, and a little black pepper. Using a spatula, stir the eggs until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the feta. Divide the eggs between the English muffins and serve hot.
source: Smells Like Home original