Sweet Chili Thai Dressing

I have a friend at work who l.o.v.e.s salad dressing. Seriously, when we grab lunch out or have a girls night dinner, there is always extra dressing involved.  And if the waitress/waiter forgets to bring the extra dressing, you can bet that my friend is asking for extra again.  It’s kind of funny to me since I’m not a huge fan of salad dressing and when I do use it, I either really lightly dress my salads or keep it on the side for dipping.

Sweet Chili Thai Dressing

But this sweet chili Thai dressing is different.  I could drink this stuff by the bottle – if it came in a bottle that is.  It doesn’t, of course, since I’m all about making as much as I can from scratch and ridding our home of packaged food. (BTW, sweet chili sauce is on my to-make list for this summer – fingers crossed our garden pumps out enough peppers for this!)  It’s luscious, if one could refer to a salad dressing as luscious.  The sweet chili sauce is a great base and the little bit of peanut butter in the recipe adds just enough of a hint to goodness to make you want to drench your salads with this stuff.  Or perhaps dip your Thai chicken pizza in it.  Or pour it over a cold noodle salad.  Or drizzle it over some grilled fish.  Whichever way you use this sweet chili Thai dressing, you’ll completely love it and you’ll definitely be asking for extra on the side.

Sweet Chili Thai Dressing

• 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 limes, juiced

Instructions

1. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened.
  2. Remove the pan from the heat and let the dressing cool for 10 minutes. Pour the dressing into a resealable container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Source

source: adapted from How Sweet It Is

Sweet Chili Thai Dressing

• Prep Time: 10min
  • Cook Time: 10min
  • Yield: approx 2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup sweet chili sauce
½ cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup canned coconut milk
6 tbsp light brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 limes, juiced

Instructions

• 01

adapted from How Sweet Eats

we love to see what you make!

tag what you make with #smellslikehomeblog on Instagram and follow my adventures in and out of the kitchen.

@smellslikehomeblog
  • April 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I’m like you, typically light on the salad dressing. But I am a sucker for any type of Thai dressing – this one sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it out, thanks for the recipe!

• April 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

We love chili sauce in our house and my husband loves to put in on practically everything. We’ve tried a couple of brands but keep going back to Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. It’s a favorite of mine on Chinese Chicken Salad. I’ve made a version of your Sweet Chili Thai Dressing but would like to try it with the coconut milk. Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe!

• April 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

sounds delicious!! i am a fan of thick dressings so this is perfect for me 🙂

• April 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Sounds amazing! I know what I’m having for dinner tonight 🙂

• April 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Oh yum! This looks great to use as a dip for the spring rolls I’ve been working on perfecting.

• April 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yum! Spring rolls dipped in this stuff would be amazing!!

• April 3, 2013 at 11:15 PM

This looks delish! I will definitely prepare this over the weekend for salads for lunch next week and the spring rolls that I’m planning to try out this weekend.

• Crystal
    April 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Hello! I’m popping in again because I’m creating my grocery list and have a question about the coconut milk. Do you need to use canned or the kind that you buy next to the dairy milk? Thank you!

• April 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I used canned for this recipe. I have the remainder of the can in the fridge waiting for smoothies. 🙂

• Kendra
    April 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I LOVE salad dressings… esp. homemade 🙂 Thx for sharing! Can I pin this recipe to pinterest, Tara? I dont see the button anywhere…. hmmm. I’m new to your sight!

• April 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

If you hover over the photos, there is a Pin icon that appears. You can also copy the site link and Pin directly through Pinterest.

• April 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Yum! We love using sweet chili sauce in our house and my husband loves to put in on practically everything. We’ve tried a couple of brands but keep going back to Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. It’s a favorite of mine on Chinese Chicken Salad. I’ve made a version of your Sweet Chili Thai Dressing but would definitely like to try it with the coconut milk. Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe!

• Holly
    April 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This dressing was amazing! This will definitely be a staple in my kitchen for summer salads. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Alyson
    October 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Delicious…I cut some of the calories using light coconut milk and PB2 instead of peanut butter, still tasted awesome.

• March 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I guess they would but lemon isn’t a flavor usually associated with thai recipes so I can’t say how great it would be. Let me know if you try it with lemons!

• April 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM

[…] Sweet Chili Thai Dressing – So good!  I made a salad with this to serve alongside these amazing… […]