Egg salad toasts with fennel and lemon aioli: This recipe will up your egg salad game to a whole new level with an EASY fancified French mayonnaise and tiny crunch of sweetness studded throughout.
I’m pretty excited about the food we’ve been making recently, these egg salad toasts with fennel and lemon aioli being one of a few of our recent faves!
Truly 2 of life’s greatest foods!
And I realize that I told you that I loathed mayo-based salads last week. That wasn’t ENTIRELY true, I guess. Sorry!!
Egg salad and tuna salad, when made my way, are really the only mayo-based salads that I’ll eat.
And actually, I truly love my old standby egg salad recipe! I’ve had it for lunch no less than once or twice a week for the past, like, 6 months so this new egg salad recipe was directly up my alley.
So it took a lot for me to deviate from my old favorite and try this creative egg salad recipe. It was so worth the jump though!!
The fennel, and lemon zest for that matter, seem like odd additions to egg salad and admittedly, I was skeptical about them. But they totally work here!
The fennel adds a bit of sweetness and the lemon zest lightens up what can sometimes be a heavy mayonnaise base. If you don’t love fennel (or licorice-flavored food), leeks might work nicely in its place in this recipe.
The original recipe calls for chicken to be added to the mix as well but I skipped it in favor of a vegetarian version.
I also used light mayonnaise in the aioli rather than making my own due to Kyle’s uncooked egg sensitivity – you’ll see my changes below in the recipe card.
This egg salad, served up on some crusty toasted bread with a small side salad, makes for a great addition to my light meals for hot nights round-up from last summer (and the newer light meals version too!).
You could most definitely make these full sandwiches with some fresh bread, if you’re so inclined to make your own. But we loved this salad just set atop a thick slice of salted tomato and crusty bread.
I know this won’t be the last time this meal sees our kitchen this year!
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 2 tbsp chopped fennel greens
- ½ cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ loaf of your favorite crusty bread, sliced and toasted
- In a medium sauce pan, add the eggs and cover with cold water - the water should reach about 1 inch above the eggs. Cover and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Turn the burner off, move the sauce pan off the burner, and set the timer for 11 minutes. When the time is up, pour off the hot water and run cold tap water into the sauce pan until all of the water is cold. Let the eggs cool completely in the water. Once cool, peel and chop the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon zest, vinegar, olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl.
- Stir the aioli, fennel, and fennel greens into the eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve egg salad open-faced on the warm toasts.
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.