Cheddar jalapeño chicken burgers with guacamole: These burgers are no joke! Cheddar and jalapeños are mixed INTO the ground chicken! Melt extra cheddar on top of the burgers and then add a heaping mound of guac and homemade ranch dressing. SO GOOD!!
Let’s talk about one of the best meals I’ve made over the past couple of weeks.
Tex-Mex Stuffed Chicken Burgers
These cheddar jalapeño chicken burgers with guacamole are freaking outstanding!! They take an oftentimes dry chicken burger to a completely different level, much like the effect these barbeque chicken burgers have. Except these chicken burgers are loaded up with cheddar cheese (which bubbles and oozes out from the finished burger), jalapeño, ranch dressing and hello! Guacamole!
You know, just a few of my always sought-after favorite ingredients.
The ground chicken is mixed with:
- chopped onion
- chopped garlic
- chopped jalapeño
- and CHEDDAR CHEESE!!
YES! There’s cheese IN your burger! I had the same reaction to stuffing my burger meat full of good stuff as when I stuffed bacon into those bacon burgers with bacon onion balsamic jam. Yup.
Toppings for Your Chicken Burger
After you grill the burgers, you’ll top the bottom bun with a good-size spoonful of guacamole and set the burger atop it. I guess you could add straight-up slices of avocado if you don’t want to go the guacamole route. Plain avocado would be great too!
You can really make these chicken burgers your own (or your use own ideas too, of course!):
- chicken burgers with ranch dressing or sour cream
- chicken burgers with creamy avocado ranch dressing
- chicken burgers with chipotle ranch dressing
- extra cheddar cheese (melt on the burgers before removing from them the grill)
- chopped cilantro
- chopped scallions or chives
- grilled red onion
- chicken burgers with pico de gallo
- chicken burgers with mexican street corn topping
- chicken burgers with salsa (suggestions: roasted tomato & garlic or salsa verde)
I saw these guacamole chicken burgers fly through one of my Pinterest scroll-fests months ago and thank goodness for Courtney for bringing them back up to the top of my list recently! I definitely foresee these burgers happening a heck of a lot this summer and once I perfect my whole wheat hamburger bun recipe, there will be no stopping me!
2019 Update: We’re still making and loving these chicken burgers 6 years after I first shared them here. Our favorite buns have now become these potato burger buns (you MUST try them – so damn good!). I haven’t made any changes to this chicken burger recipe since we still love it just as much now as we did back then.
For the burgers:
- 1 ½ lbs ground chicken
- ½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed (to tone down the heat if desired), chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice of ½ lime
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates with vegetable oil to prevent the burgers from sticking. ⅓
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and toss in the onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, paprika, lime juice, cheddar, salt and pepper. With a fork, lightly stir the ingredients into the chicken until the mixture is well-blended. Shape the chicken mixture into four ½-inch patties.
- Grill the patties for 5 to 6 minutes per side. Allow to rest for a couple minutes before serving. Top the buns with guacamole and the burger with desired toppings.
adapted from What's Gaby Cooking