Let’s talk about one of the best meals I’ve made over the past couple of weeks. These cheddar jalapeño chicken burgers with guacamole are freaking outstanding. They take an oftentimes dry chicken burger to a completely different level, much like the effect of these barbeque chicken burgers except with cheddar (which bubbles and oozes out from the finished burger), jalapeño, ranch dressing and hello! Guacamole! You know, just a few of my always sought-after favorite ingredients. I saw them fly through one of my Pinterest scroll-fests months ago and thank goodness for Courtney for bringing them back up to the top of my list recently! I too foresee these burgers happening a heck of a lot this summer and once I perfect my whole wheat hamburger bun recipe, there will be no stopping me!
My homemade buns for these burgers turned out on the smaller side so we made 6 small burgers rather than 4 larger ones...and got to eat them two nights in a row. Score!
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- ½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed (to tone down the heat if desired), chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Burger buns
- Your favorite guacamole
- Ranch dressing or sour cream
- Extra cheddar cheese (melt on the burgers before removing from them the grill)
- Extra cilantro
- Salsa (suggestions: roasted tomato & garlic or salsa verde)
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates with vegetable oil to prevent the burgers from sticking.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and toss in the onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, paprika, lime juice, cheddar, salt and pepper. With a fork, lightly stir the ingredients into the chicken until the mixture is well-blended. Shape the chicken mixture into four ½-inch patties.
- Grill the patties for 5 to 6 minutes per side. Allow to rest for a couple minutes before serving. Top the buns with guacamole and the burger with desired toppings.
source: adapted from What's Gaby Cooking