Baked BBQ Pulled Pork Taquitos: Rolled and baked tacos stuffed with BBQ pulled pork, cheddar and cream cheese, and a slew of Tex-Mex flavors. These taquitos are as perfect for any kind of party (I’m looking at you, Cinco de Mayo and Super Bowl!) as they are to throw together for a quick weeknight dinner.
Who’s excited for Cinco de Mayo? Can you believe it’s only a little over a week away?!
How fast did these first four months of the year go?! Pretty soon I’ll be sipping frozen mojitos on the deck [that we’ve yet to build] next to the pool [that looks like a good ole New England winter got the best of it].
Well, friends, these baked BBQ pork taquitos hit on all the notes I’m excited for in the next couple of months, even if we’re still a solid month away from opening the pool.
Perfect for any Cinco de Mayo celebration, or you know, any other night of the year, and easy enough to throw together for a quick weeknight dinner, these taquitos are a huge new favorite in our house. The love we have for these BBQ pork taquitos is only followed very closely by the original taquitos we love so much.
And because I always tend to overdo things and I always end up slow cooking a ginormous pork butt instead of a medium-sized pork butt, I often have a couple bags of pulled pork stashed in the freezer for meals like this one (or these BBQ chicken burgers!).
It’s not always bad to be a freezer pack rat, is it?
What is a Taquito?
If you’re unfamiliar with the deliciousness of what a taquito is, I’m so happy that I get to be the person to tell you!
A taquito is a stuffed and tightly rolled tortilla that is either baked or fried until the filling is hot and the tortilla is golden brown. It’s basically a rolled taco that you can bake or fry. How amazing does that sound?!
Taquitos can be stuffed with a whole variety of fillings. Some examples of other taquito fillings are:
How to Make Taquitos
Taquitos are so incredibly easy to make at home! Here’s what you do:
- Preheat an oven to 400° F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Lay a soft tortilla on a flat work surface. Spread some of the filling down the center of the tortilla and wrap it up into a tight log.
- Place the taquito on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spray taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the taquitos are lightly browned.
looking for more cinco de mayo recipes?
check out 15 of our favorites!
For the taquitos:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature (reduced-fat is fine)
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chile powder (I love ancho chile powder but regular chili powder is fine too)
- ½ tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp mustard powder or 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked pork
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10-12 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, BBQ sauce, paprika, chile powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, lime juice, brown sugar, liquid smoke, red pepper flakes, and ¼ tsp salt until well combined. Stir in the onions, scallions, cilantro, and hot sauce. Fold the pork and cheese into the mixture.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds and keep them between two kitchen towels on your work surface. Using a medium-size cookie scoop, line the middle of a tortilla with a heaping scoop (about 2-3 tablespoons) of the filling mixture (leave the rest of the tortillas inside the towels). Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling and place it seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet.
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle a very small pinch of kosher salt onto each taquito – don’t skip this as the salt finishes off the taquitos. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Serve with any of the suggested dipping options above (or your own!).
- OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Half Sheet 13 x 18 Inch
- OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowl Set with Black Handles, 3-Piece
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.