Homemade Cinnamon Brown Sugar Coffee Syrup: If you love cinnamon rolls, you’re going to flip over this copycat cinnamon dolce syrup for your iced and hot coffee drinks!
If you’ve been around here for a hot minute, you know that I’m a big coffee drinker. I don’t care if it’s hot or iced! Or in the form of regular coffee, espresso, or lattes!
But here’s the thing: I need my coffee sweetened.
In college, I drank it light and sweet. That basically didn’t taste like coffee at all. And I was ok with that back then.
These days, I do love the flavor of coffee so I don’t add a lot of sweetener; just enough to cut through the bitterness. Are you with me?
Since I all but live off of ice coffee, cold brew, and iced lattes in the summer, I always have a flavored coffee syrup of some variety in the fridge. To me, coffee syrup is THE BEST way to flavor cold coffee because it mixes really well into cold drinks. Sugar granules don’t dissolve in cold liquids and I can’t stand that lump of sugar that always ends up at the bottom of my cups.
A few years ago, I fell pretty hard for the toasted coconut syrup I made. I had some extra shredded coconut in the pantry from some cookies I had made so I quickly toasted the coconut in the oven and steeped it in simple syrup. It was such a fantastic way to boost my cold brew!
So this summer, I decided to really ramp up my cold brew game by making a whole slew of coffee syrups to flavor my morning cups. I’m doing this for 2 reasons:
- Flavored coffee syrup is freaking delicious, and
- I’m seriously trying save some money by not buying coffee at coffee shops. It costs pennies to make a homemade coffee syrup!
The first one I made is this cinnamon brown sugar coffee syrup. It’s the bee’s knees!
And it could not be easier to make either!
How to Make Cinnamon Brown Sugar Coffee Syrup
You only need 3 ingredients to make this cinnamon brown sugar coffee syrup:
- brown sugar
- cinnamon sticks
- water (if you can even count water as an ingredient!)
If you’ve never made a coffee syrup before, you won’t believe how easy this is!
To make this coffee syrup, you’re going to make a simple syrup with equal parts water and brown sugar. And for every cup of each, you’ll need 2 cinnamon sticks.
So, here’s how you make this coffee syrup:
- Mix 1 cup of brown sugar into 1 cup of water in a small sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Boil the sugar water for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drop 2 cinnamon sticks into the liquid. Let the cinnamon sticks steep for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and pour the coffee syrup into a glass bottle or mason jar.
That’s it! You can reduce or increase the recipe as it fits your needs. If you can remember the ratio of 1:1:2 (brown sugar to water to cinnamon sticks), it will be easy to scale the recipe up or down!
Homemade Cinnamon Dolce Coffee Syrup
OK, so now might be wondering, “What the heck does this coffee syrup taste like? Because really, is cinnamon flavored coffee really a thing?”
Omgosh YES! Cinnamon flavored coffee IS a thing! Starbucks markets this flavored drink to you as the cinnamon dolce latte.
Well friends, this recipe is basically a homemade cinnamon dolce coffee syrup! Can you believe you can make your own cinnamon dolce syrup?? And truth be told, this recipe has WAY less ingredients that the flavored syrups you’re paying beaucoup bucks for at Starbucks or your favorite coffee shop.
If you’re not familiar with this flavor, I’m going to put it out there and tell you that this cinnamon brown sugar coffee syrup tastes like a cinnamon roll in a glass. IT’S HEAVENLY. I mean, how could drinking the flavor of a cinnamon roll NOT be heavenly?
How to Use Coffee Syrup for Cold and Hot Drinks
To use this cinnamon brown sugar coffee syrup for cold brew or iced coffee, simply pour a couple tablespoons into the bottom of a glass filled with ice. Then pour your cold brew or iced coffee over the ice. If you like your iced drinks on the lighter side, add a little half-and-half, unflavored creamer, or milk.
Pro Tip: Be sure to stir your drink up really well to ensure the syrup at the bottom of the glass mixes into the coffee. Using a biodegradable paper straw or a stainless steel straw instead of a spoon for mixing your drink saves you from having to wash another utensil and reduces waste by not using plastic.
If you’re making an iced latte at home, start the same way by pouring the syrup over the ice, brew your espresso directly into the cup, and then add the milk. I’ve got some great instructions for this in my homemade iced latte recipe so you may want to hop over there for more details!
If you want to use this copycat cinnamon dolce syrup for hot coffee or lattes, you can pour a couple tablespoons into the cup either before or after adding your hot coffee/espresso. The coffee syrup will mix into the hot liquid very quickly
I generally use about 2 tablespoons of coffee syrup for my coffee drinks. But depending on how sweet you like your coffee, you can add more or less to make it your own.
OK, now that I’ve spilled all you need to know about how to make this incredible cinnamon dolce / cinnamon roll / cinnamon brown sugar coffee syrup (or whatever you want to call it!) at home, will you just get going and make it already? But don’t say I didn’t warn you about its utter addictiveness!
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir the sugar and water together in a small saucepan until no sugar clumps remain. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Take than pan off the heat, drop the cinnamon stick in, and allow the cinnamon to steep in the syrup for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir 1 or 2 tablespoons into to your coffee, cold brew, or lattes. Add more to taste.
Storage: Store the syrup in a glass jar or bottle in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Weck Juice Jar Combo Pack - (1) 766 1-Liter jar (1) 764 1/2-Liter jar with Glass Lids, Rubber Rings and Steel Clamps
- Primula Cold Brew Glass Coffee Maker – Borosilicate Glass Carafe and Stainless Steel Mesh Core – Dishwasher Safe – 50 oz. [1.5 qt.] – Smokey Grey
- Ball Mason Jar-16 oz. Clear Glass Wide Mouth - Set of 4
- Tomnk 225PCS Stripe Paper Straw Drinking for Carious Drinking Decorations Parties Birthday Parties Weddings etc. with all the color of the rainbow
- YIHONG Set of 8 Stainless Steel Metal Straws Ultra Long 10.5 Inch Reusable Straws For 30oz Tumblers Cold Beverage (4 Straight| 4 Bent| 2 Brushes| 1 Pouch)
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.