Is there not a more amazing combination of flavors than in salted caramel? Don’t agree with me? Uhh, have you tried these salted caramel brownies yet?? Like these sweet and salty cupcakes and these turbo-charged brownies, this brownie recipe brings together rich chocolate and salted caramel, a topping I don’t ever see myself tiring of. And rather than being sandwiched within the brownies (like this recipe), the caramel seeps into the batter, distributing the goodness throughout and keeping the brownies perfectly fudgy. After adding a sprinkle of fleur de sel and coarse sugar which melt onto the warm brownies after baking, this dessert is elevated to another level. As my first official baked goodie in the new kitchen, these brownies were a smash hit and whether you top them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a glorious drizzle of the leftover caramel sauce (or both!), you will not be disappointed – we certainly weren’t!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ tsp fleur de sel
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11 oz good quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (preferably 60 to 72%), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- splash of Kahlua (optional)
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- 1 tsp coarse sugar
- To make the caramel: Combine the sugar and corn syrup with 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Carefully stir them together, trying not to splash the sides of the pan. Cook over high heat, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 350° F, about 6 to 8 minutes. It should be dark amber in color, but keep a close eye on it, as caramel goes from perfect to burnt and ruined in no time flat. Remove the caramel from heat, and carefully stir in the cream. It will bubble up, so be ready! Whisk in the sour cream or Greek yogurt, and set aside to cool.
- To make the brownies: Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder; set aside.
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl and cook at 30 second intervals, stirring well in between, until the chocolate and butter have melted. Add both sugars and whisk until combined. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Add three of the eggs and whisk until just combined. Whisk in the remaining two eggs, vanilla, and Kahlua (if using), and whisk just until combined. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the brownies and use a spatula to fold it into the wet ingredients, until there are just small traces of the flour visible.
- To assemble the brownies: Pour half the batter into the prepared baking dish. Drizzle 3/4 cup of the caramel over the brownie batter, being careful not to let the sauce come into contact with the edge of dish. Use and offset spatula to gently spread the caramel evenly over the brownie layer, then drop the remaining brownie batter over the caramel by the spoonful. Again, use the offset spatula to gently spread it in an even layer.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and sprinkle with the salt and sugar Cool completely before cutting and serving.