I was looking for a great new side dish to go along with my recently discovered favorite pork chop recipe when I remember a recipe that had been tossed around my cooking board a few months ago – orzo with Parmesan and basil. This was a wonderful complement to the perfect pork chops and because I finish the pork chops off in the oven, the orzo and the chops finished at the same time and I wasn’t waiting around for one of them while the other sat and got cold…something I’ve really been working on.
Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (14.5oz) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned. (I actually forgot about the orzo and it over-browned a little bit but still came out wonderful. Next time I’ll pay more attention!!)
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat ans simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with extra basil.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
No comments yet.