Who says real men don’t eat quiche? Well, not my man! In fact, I think he liked this artichoke parmesan thyme quiche just as much as the vegetarian (spinach) lasagna we made for our brunch this weekend (this post to come later this week). Go figure…two dishes without meat.I didn’t think it was possible. However, in the 6 ½ years I’ve spent with Kyle, I’ve learned to never get between a man and his pork. This was purely evident this weekend when we had to serve bacon alongside the biscuits and gravy. No harm done since I got my way with the lasagna and the two quiches I made; one of which was this artichoke parmesan thyme quiche…which Kyle LOVED. As did I. It was fantastic!! And I have to say that I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with this combination on my own.
I had all intentions of making my own dough but never got around to it in the rush to get the house ready and cook/bake everything else and ended up using pre-made pie dough – you know the one I’m talking about and you know you’ve used it too! I know that most quiche recipes call for par baking the crust but since I wasn’t using a recipe, I decided to throw caution to the wind and not par bake the crust. Relax! It worked just fine and I think turned out better (the edges were less browned) than if I had par baked it. Regardless of which type of dough you use for this quiche, you MUST try the quiche! The flavor of the artichokes came through nicely and the thyme is just fabulous! I’ll bet you didn’t realize you could use artichokes for something other than spinach and artichoke dip!
What else did we make for our brunch this weekend?
- Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Lemon Cake
- Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach Quiche
Artichoke Parmesan Thyme Quiche
Source: Smells Like Home and inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Spinach Quiche from Bon Appetit, 1991
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup half-n-half or heavy cream
- 4 oz soften cream cheese
- 1 (14oz) can artichokes, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shallots, diced small
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pre-packaged 9” pie dough round or ½ of this recipe
- Preheat oven to 425˚ F
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, half-n-half/heavy cream, and cream cheese.Stir in artichokes, thyme, cheeses, shallots, salt and pepper.Set aside.
- On a clean work surface, gently roll out dough round slightly.Gently place into a 9” pie dish, fluting the edges.
- Pour artichoke mixture into pie dough.Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.