Typically, pasta is the enemy for me. It’s a meal I always crave but is usually full of empty carbs and calories that usually makes me feel like going back for seconds is necessary. So when I saw that Pasta w/ Sun-Dried Tomatoes had been chosen as July’s 1st BB recipe, my heart soared and sank at the same time…as in YAY for pasta but BOO for screwing with my WW Points.
In any event, I set out to make this dish as WW friendly as possible…and to make it so that I wouldn’t feel like going back for seconds. To accomplish this task, I used whole wheat fusilli, reduced the amount of oil and cheeses, and added grilled chicken. As a result, my dressing was more like a sun-dried tomato pesto (no complaints here!) and the chicken was the perfect addition to round out the meal. With the chicken, I was able to modify the dinner to 9 WW Points – not too bad for what became a very filling and extra tasty pasta meal! The original recipe is posted below but it’s a piece of cake to modify it to your own likes/needs so I won’t post my changes here.
I know I’m posting this one late this month…heck I posted the 2nd BB recipe before the first…but be sure to at least check out Cat’s version of this. You can go here for her blog or scroll through the list on the BB blog. Thanks for the great choice Cat!!!
Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, page 58
- 1/2 pound fusilli (spirals) pasta
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, medium-diced
- 3/4 cup good black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and diced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, medium-diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
For the dressing:
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, julienned
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together. Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil, and toss well.