Who knew that after finally trying a new chili recipe recently, that I would be motivated to try others as well??
I came across this one looking for more WWPoints recipes and knew just by looking at it that I needed to give it a shot. Plus, it’s a crockpot recipe so I found it terribly difficult to pass up. I did find I had to add a few things to the recipe after it had cooked all day because the amount of flavor I expect from a chili just wasn’t there. Not a huge deal though and you’ll see my adapted version below.
With my additions, I have to say that I adore this recipe. I’ve never made a chili with tomato sauce and I was a little worried about it being too soupy but I was really pleased with the overall consistency (nice and thick). And if you’re a big fan of beans in all shapes and sizes like we are, you’ll definitely find pleasure in this meal.
With regards to the WWPoints, as Gina wrote the recipe, it was 3 Points, but because I added dark turkey meat, my version yielded 5 Points/serving. Oh and PS – I still can’t figure out how 20 oz of meat could possibly feed 12 people as stated in the original recipe.
Crockpot 3 Bean Turkey Chili
source: adapted from Gina’s WW Recipes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (white meat/turkey breast)
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey (dark meat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp Penzey’s Chili 3000 mix (or other chili seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through. Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crock pot.
- Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas tomatoes, tomato sauce and all of the seasonings, mixing well.
- Cook on high 6 hours. Serve hot.
Any recipe that has the words Chili and Crockpot is a winner!! Love the easy comfort food recipe!
I really love this recipe especially as I love chick peas but have to admit I have never tried blackbeans. I am not so keen on turkey either so I probably would substitute it with chicken. Thanks for the recipe and I must try it just to see how I like the black beans. See you in Foodbuzz.