While I’m always up for a hearty sandwich, I just wasn’t feeling the big hunk of bread this week so I took the liberty of adapting this sandwich into a nice hearty chicken Caesar club salad. It was easy enough to do but I went a step further in lightening up the this meal by using equal parts light mayo and nonfat Greek yogurt. The bacon, of course, stayed and added the perfect amount of bacon-y flavor to this light and crisp salad. You’ll see my changes below but if you’re not up for a salad, I’m sure the club sandwich would be fantastic with nice fresh piece of crusty ciabatta.
Chicken Caesar Club Salad (Sandwich)
source: adapted from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home
- 2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces bacon
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoons course grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup good mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces and washed and spun dry
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 2 to 3 ounces Parmesan, shaved
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a sauté pan to medium high.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry then sprinkle with salt and pepper. When oil is hot, cook the chicken for 12 minutes or until cooked through, flipping over using tongs after about 6-7 minutes. Cool slightly and slice the chicken on a bias (against the grain) into about 1/2″ slices. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towels. When cooled, break up in to pieces.
- Place the garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until minced. Add the anchovy paste, mustard, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and yogurt and process again to make a smooth dressing. Blend in a little olive oil if the mixture is too thick. (Refrigerate the Caesar dressing if not using it immediately.)
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with dressing. Mix in bacon and sun-dried tomatoes. Divide the salad between two plates, top with sliced chicken and Parmesan cheese.