In spite of the serious lack of sweet potato recipes on this blog, I actually am a pretty huge fan of them. I bake them up frequently in the fall and winter to take for lunch or to have as a healthier alternative to a regular white potato with dinner. And when Thanksgiving rolls around, hold me back from the sweet potato casserole! So this recipe, while pretty basic, is also right up my alley.
There’s nothing complicated about it – you just bake a few sweet potatoes,
overcook brown some butter, and mix a little maple syrup into sour cream. With a little nuttiness from the browned butter alongside the sweet and tangy maple sour cream, you’ve got the makings of quite the perfect cool weather side dish. Or lunch served with a little salad or bowl of soup, perhaps?
Browned Butter Sweet Potatoes with Maple Sour Cream
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- ½ cup sour cream (light works fine)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Poke each sweet potato several times with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until soft and cooked through, 50-60 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven to cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together sour cream and maple syrup; set aside.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until brown bits start to form on the bottom of the pan and the butter turns golden brown in color, about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the butter - it can burn quickly.
- Slice the sweet potatoes open lengthwise and lightly mash up the potato inside the skin with a fork. Divide the browned butter between the potatoes and dollop the top of each with some of the maple sour cream. Serve hot.
maple sour cream adapted from Everyday Food
Yum! I am sitting here now, thinking of how many things I can add that maple sour cream too! Sounds great!
Wow, these look amazing. And maple sour cream, get out. I can’t wait to try these.
What a simple and lovely fall dish. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods; I love that this recipe adds just enough to enhance, but not overpower, their flavor.
Sweet potatoes are my absolute favorite vegetable. But pairing them with brown butter and maple sour cream?! Brilliant. I can’t wait to give them a whirl.
This is such a simple recipe and looks so rich and elegant! I am definitely trying this one. Very nice pictures and thats what tempted me all the more.
We’re thinking along the same lines, Tara! I love sweet potatoes and posted a sweet potato recipe myself today. It’s for crispy sweet potato fries along with the most delicious sauce for dipping. Mmm….
Bake sweet potatoes in aluminum foil. They happen to freeze very well and comes in handy for quick side dish.