Take your weekend waffles to the next level with these Peanut Butter and Banana Waffles! Here, a dreamy, creamy peanut butter sauce pairs up perfectly with sliced bananas on top of fresh and hot buttermilk waffles.
Remember a few weeks back when I mentioned that I had a non-existent Mother’s Day menu for my mom? The one I had a few ideas for but hadn’t yet discussed with my brother?
Well, we compromised. I was thinking a stuffed French toast. He was thinking waffles.
To me, there’s no contest here. I guess it also helps that Mom loves waffles. I am my mother’s child, after all.
She also love love loves the pairing of peanut butter and banana! As kids, our peanut butter sandwiches included either jelly or bananas. I didn’t even know about Fluff until college or that peanut butter and Fluff was even a thing.
Our fresh homemade banana bread was slathered with peanut butter too.
It’s a natural combination that Mom flips over and so we made peanut butter and banana waffles for her for Mother’s Day breakfast.
Without getting too crazy with the waffle recipe itself, we made buttermilk waffles and topped them with this creamy peanut butter sauce and sliced bananas. And let me tell you: we’re talkin’ dream breakfast here!
This was definitely one of the highlights of the day for all of us and I know they helped make Mom’s day pretty special.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Sauce
You will not believe how easy it is to make this creamy peanut butter sauce recipe! All you need is 3 ingredients, all of which you probably have in your kitchen already!
Here’s what you’ll need – keep scrolling to check out the recipe card below for the ingredient amounts you’ll need:
- creamy peanut butter
- half-and-half – or you can use a equal mix of milk and heavy cream
- confectioners’ sugar
Making This Outrageous Breakfast
These are the basic steps for making these peanut butter and banana waffles. For the full set of instructions, be sure to keep scrolling down to the recipe card below!
STEP 1: Make your waffles. Homemade waffles are my choice but if you’re in a pinch or some picky kids who love their frozen waffles, any frozen variety will work too. Keep the waffles warm in the oven while you make the peanut butter sauce.
STEP 2: Make the peanut butter sauce by heating the peanut butter and half-and-half in the microwave. Whisk them until they come together and then whisk in the confectioners’ sugar.
STEP 3: Top your waffles with sliced bananas and drizzle the peanut butter sauce over the top. Serve while still warm, cozy, and amazingly delicious!
Other Ideas for this Peanut Butter Sauce
- on top of chocolate brownie ice cream
- drizzled over brownies or blondies
- drizzled over fudgy brownie pie
- swirled into chocolate frosting for chocolate cake
- dolloped on top of banana pancakes
Peanut Butter and Banana Waffles
Peanut butter and banana waffles are a truly decadent breakfast treat for all of the waffle lovers in your family. Skip the jarred and bottled peanut butter sauces and make your own without high fructose corn syrup! See the Notes below for my brand suggestions.
- 1 waffle recipe
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ - ¾ cup half-and-half
- 3 ½ tbsp confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 bananas, sliced
- Prepare waffles according to recipe instructions, keeping cooked waffles warm in a 250° degree oven while you make the rest.
- To make the peanut butter sauce: Combine peanut butter and half-and-half in a medium heatproof bowl. Warm in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, then heat again for 30 seconds. Whisk the mixture together until the peanut butter completely combines with the half-and-half. This will take a minute or so of whisking and at first, the peanut butter will look really separated - it will come together. Whisk in the sugar. At this point, if the mixture is too thick for a sauce consistency, whisk in some extra half-and-half by the tablespoon until you reached your desired consistency, up to ¾ cup.
- Spoon peanut butter sauce over waffles then top with sliced bananas. If you want to get really crazy, a little pure maple syrup is also excellent drizzled on top of the sauce and bananas.
Whole Foods brand of creamy peanut butter is an all-natural option and some mainstream brands like Peter Pan are now skipping the HFCS as well. Skippy Natural has too much oil for this recipe so stick with a peanut butter that doesn't have to be stirred.
Double the peanut butter sauce recipe and refrigerate the leftovers if you want to use it as a topping for ice cream or brownies...or brownie sundaes.
peanut butter sauce adapted from Martha Stewart
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.
These waffles are dreamy! Love this recipe!
Love the peanut butter banana combination with waffles! That peanut butter sauce sounds wonderful!
Thanks, Jessica! Yup, the peanut butter sauce is completely addicting!
bananas and peanut butter are heeeaven, especially for breakfast!!! These waffles are craaazy amazing and omg that pb sauce
I could honestly indulge in these waffles every single morning!
[…] something special on National Waffle Day, try the Chocolate Waffle with Peanut Butter Sauce, or the Peanut Butter and Banana Waffles. Enjoy your day and do not forget to share these fabulous recipes with your loved […]
I liked it so much 😊