Sun dried tomato pesto is incredibly simple to make with just a small handful of ingredients! It’s a fantastic and easy way to elevate so many meals and snack platters.
Pesto has never been a big thing in our house.
Sure, I make this lighter version once or twice each summer but because Kyle has a tree nut allergy, I’m sort of prohibited from trying most new recipes that I come across.
And that prohibits me from making recipes that contain pesto as well.
But I recently came across a nut-free sun dried tomato pesto recipe and it sounded amazing! With only 5 ingredients that I already had in the house, I all but jumped up and made it as soon as I saw the recipe.
Here’s the short ingredient list for this pesto recipe. Be sure to check out the full list in the recipe card below!
- sun dried tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- dried oregano
- fresh garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Easiest Way to Make Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
If you’ve got a food processor and 5 minutes, you can make this pesto. It’s so incredibly easy! Here’s what you’ll do:
STEP 1: Add all of the ingredients to the food processor and blend until almost completely smooth. You can add a little extra oil if you think it’s too thick.
That’s it! How great, right?!
And yes, after the 5 minutes it took to make this pesto, we polished off about a quarter of it on crackers with sharp provolone.
And we then used some more of it on our pork sausage burgers for dinner that night. Can you blame us?? Gourmet burgers with sun dried tomato pesto? Yes, please!
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (if packed in oil, just slightly drained) - see Note below
- ¼ + 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, oregano, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients. Through the feeder tube and with the machine on, drizzle in ¼ cup olive oil. Add up to another ¼ cup oil to achieve your desired consistency; the pesto should be spreadable but not liquidy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil for this recipe, you can use the oil from the jar. If they are not packed in oil, you'll need to soak them for 30 minutes in water that has been boiled. Use immediately - just the tomatoes, not the water.
adapted from Bake Your Day
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.