Italian food isn’t known for it’s burgers but these pork burgers with garlicky spinach and sun-dried tomato pesto will truly surprise you! If you love Italian sausage, you’ll LOVE these sausage burgers covered in ooey, gooey melted provolone!!
Every once in a while, I find myself getting into some pretty annoying food ruts. In spite of the menus that I almost obsessively create each week, sometimes I just feel so uninspired when it comes time to make dinner.
This was not the case, however, when the night rolled around to make these sausage burgers. In fact, I dreamed about this meal from the moment I pinned the recipe!
A simple Italian-seasoned sausage patty topped with melted sharp provolone cheese, some quickly sautéed garlicky spinach, and a layer of sun-dried tomato pesto make up the components of these gourmet burgers. Not only were they simple to throw together on a busy weeknight, but they basically blew away any of the burgers we’ve eaten so far this summer. Yes, that includes these bacon burgers with bacon onion jam!
Well, except for these burgers – but now they’re both definitely tied for first on my list. Choosing a favorite burger shouldn’t be this difficult!
Buns for These Sausage Burgers
The first time I made these burgers, I sandwiched them between soft whole wheat buns. And while there wasn’t anything wrong with those buns, my homemade potato buns proved to be a MUCH better option.
If you don’t have time for homemade buns, store-bought sesame seed or brioche buns would be great too!
What to Serve with Sausage Burgers
The obvious choice for a burger side dish is French fries, right? If you’re a fry lover like I am, you MUST try these oven fries! They’re phenomenal!
Other side dish options include loaded baked potatoes, our favorite grilled corn, this bacon ranch potato salad, and broccoli slaw.
Sausage Burgers with Garlicky Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
Sausage burgers with garlicky spinach and sun-dried tomato pesto are a fantastic idea for your next burger night. They're loaded up with melted provolone, sauteed spinach and garlic, and a hefty dose of a nut-free pesto made with sun-dried tomatoes. Follow the link below in the Ingredients list for the pesto recipe!
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian pork sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz sharp provolone, shredded
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
- 4 burger buns
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Form the sausage into 4 patties; set aside. (If you have sausage links, remove the casings from the sausages and form the loose pork into 4 patties; set aside.)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cover the pan. After a couple of minutes, stir up the spinach with tongs in order to wilt the uncooked spinach; recover the pan. Repeat this every couple of minutes until all of the spinach is just wilted and before it starts to get watery. Stir in the garlic and a few cranks of black pepper and let it cook with the spinach for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and transfer the spinach to a shallow bowl, uncovered, to let cool slightly.
- Grill the sausage patties for 4 to 5 minutes per side. During the last 2 minutes, divide the cheese between the burgers and close the grill to allow the cheese to melt. Transfer the burgers to a plate and tent with foil to let them rest for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, with a dry paper, press the spinach to remove some of the water. Spread some pesto on the bottom half of the buns. Top each with a burger then divide the spinach between the burgers and finish with the tops of the buns.
adapted from Food & Wine
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.
I would like this burger right now, it so yummy!
This looks incredibly delicious. I must make these before BBQ season is done!