In the spirit of forgiveness, can you forgive me for not sharing this recipe oh…9 months ago…after I first made it? Please?
I have no idea what happened; why I haven’t shared it sooner.
Because it was a killer lunch I had that day. I even humble-bragged it.
But it’s a new year, right? And if you’re still looking for healthy lunch or light dinner options like I always am, this bok choy brown rice salad with orange sesame dressing has you covered.
Totally and completely covered.
From the healthier brown rice option to the leafy green bok choy to the homemade, unprocessed orange sesame dressing, this salad has it all!
The light and bright dressing really is the star as it gently coats the salad ingredients and leaves you digging back in the bowl for more and more.
It’s got a bit of tang from the fresh citrus juice but the savory sesame oil balances the flavors out beautifully.
You can certainly add cooked chicken or shrimp for some protein. There’s edamame already in this salad so that does add a little protein but if you’re someone who needs a heftier protein to be able to call this salad a meal, either chicken or shrimp would be delicious!
If you wanted to, you could also swap out the brown rice for some quinoa which adds more protein. Or add extra or totally different veggies to the mix!
This bok choy brown rice salad with orange sesame dressing is versatile enough to keep everyone happy!
And going back for seconds? Well, that’s not a bad idea either!
For the salad:
- 4 cups brown rice (or quinoa), cooked and cooled
- 1 ½ cups cooked and cooled shredded chicken (optional)
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrot
- 3 baby bok choy, rinsed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup frozen edamam, thawed
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (white or black)
For the orange sesame dressing:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- To make the salad: Gently toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl to combine. Set aside.
- To make the dressing: Whisk all of the ingredients through honey together in a 2 cup glass measuring cup until well combined. While whisking vigorously, drizzle in the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble: Pour some of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. The salad should be lightly dressed so add a little dressing at a time until you achieve this. I only drizzled the dressing over my portion for that meal and stored the remaining salad and dressing in separate containers in the fridge. The salad will keep well for about 2 days and the dressing for up to 1 week in the fridge.