Some of my best summer memories involve big family dinners coming hot off the grill. Marinated flank steak and potatoes wrapped in foil were standard fare along with sliced garden tomatoes and steamed corn on the cob on the side.
Those potatoes though, they were my downfall. Steamy and charred, straight out of the ashen coals of the grill, sliced open and filled up with butter and sour cream. Gah!
I dream about those potatoes!
And now all these years later, enter these grilled loaded nacho fries. From the moment I threw a bunch of potato wedges on the grill for the first time last year, I knew nacho fries needed to happen.
It turns out that a gas grill is the perfect way to replicate those foil-wrapped potatoes from my childhood and loaded up with allllll of the best nacho toppings, this couldn’t be a better meal to give a nod to my dad for all of those awesome potatoes he made me as a kid.
These grilled loaded nacho fries…they’re the epitome of man-food.
What to Top Nacho Fries With
If you’re wondering what you should top your grilled nacho fries with, let me give you a few suggestions. And I’ll remind you that these grilled fries are still a perfect carby vessel for allll the toppings, even if they aren’t tortilla chips. They remind me a lot of these guacamole crashed potatoes where they can handle a lot of the good stuff.
Ideas for Nacho Fries Toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Black beans
- Grilled corn
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Sliced chipotle honey glazed chicken
- Pulled pork
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro and sliced scallions
- Red onion or pickled red onions
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Lime juice
And in honor of Father’s Day and all of those great grilling dads out there, I’m teaming up with Saber to give away a shiny new gas grill. The SABER line includes eight premium infrared gas grills priced from $799 to $1,699, as well as a full line of outdoor kitchen components and grilling tools/accessories for the ultimate outdoor grilling area.
At the heart of all Saber grills is an infrared cooking system that uses 30% less gas than traditional gas grills, has a wide temperature range for slow roasting or searing, and a rapid pre-heat cycle of 0 to 700 degrees in less than 10 minutes (yesss!).
The cooking surfaces are made of highly durable commercial grade 304 stainless steel that generate even, uniform heat across the entire surface (no more hot or cold spots), which tends to be my grilling nemesis, and Saber’s infrared cooking system keeps food JUICIER.
If you’re unfamiliar with this line of grills, Saber Grills, LLC is a division of Char-Broil®, America’s oldest and most innovative outdoor cooking company. The grills are sold exclusively through independent outdoor retailers…and if you’re interested in purchasing a Saber grill – how about a fantastic Father’s Day gift?! – you can find loads of info through any of the following venues:
Website: Saber Grills
Blog: Better Barbecue Blog (For recipes, grilling tips and more!)
[CLOSED] Giveaway Details:
- This is a Rafflecopter giveaway – click on this link to enter.
- Official Rules for this giveaway can be found on the official Saber Grills Facebook page.
If you’re looking for some additional ways to make a #BetterFathersDay, you NEED to check out what the other fabulous blogger hosts of this giveaway have made to celebrate grilling season and Father’s Day!
- BBQ Beer Glazed Chicken Skewers with Sriracha Candied Bacon – Souffle Bombay
- BBQ Turkey Legs – Jo-Lynne Shane
- Hot Dogs with Chipotle Cheese Sauce and Bacon Corn Relish – Cooking and Beer
- Slow Smoked Raspberry Chipotle Ribs – Sugar Dish Me
- Jalapeño Lime Chicken Fajitas – Maebells
- Bacon Burgers with Bourbon Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese – Recipe Runner
- Hibachi Steak with Grilled Wasabi Potatoes – Culinary Hill
- Grilled Barbecue Baby Back Ribs – Girl Carnivore
- Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers – Fake Ginger
See more at: Better Barbecue Blog
Grilled Loaded Nacho Fries
Grilled loaded nacho fries are kind of a brilliant idea, if you ask me. If you love nachos and fries, this is the best of both worlds colliding! They are the perfect summer appetizer or side dish to make on the grill or over an open fire so no need to heat up your kitchen to make nachos in the oven!
For the grilled fries:
- ½ lb Russet potatoes, sliced into ½-inch thick wedges
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
Toppings suggestions (or you know, ahem, all of them):
- Grated cheese
- Salsa verde (or your favorite salsa)
- Sour cream
- Grilled corn
- Chopped red onions
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped chives or scallions
- Lime juice
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (around 600° F). If needed, coat the grill grates with some canola oil.
- Soak the potato wedges in a large bowl of hot water for 10 minutes; drain and pat dry. Dry out the bowl and toss the potato wedges with 2 teaspoons oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and the garlic powder in the bowl until well-coated. Ready all of your toppings before proceeding.
- Spread the potatoes out over the grill, taking care not to lose any between the grates - this can be tricky. Close the cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip when the bottoms have begun to brown and start to take on some char marks from the grates; cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until browned on the other side.
- After you flip the potatoes, turn down the heat on one side of the grill to medium and place a heavy baking sheet or cast iron pan on the grate to preheat. When the potatoes are finished, transfer them to the baking sheet/pan, top with shredded cheese, and close the lid to allow the cheese to melt for just 1-2 minutes. Using pot holders, transfer the very hot baking sheet/pan to a heatproof surface and add the rest of your toppings before serving while the cheese still all hot and bubbly.
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.
Yum – I love loaded nachos!
this recipe sounds fantastic!
Thanks! It was! 🙂
The recipe is awesome. Have to try it.
What an awesome recipe. Looks DELISH and will added to my weekly menu.
I hope you love it!
This recipe is fantastic! The image has me wanting to make it right away.
Nachos + french fries? My two delicious worlds just collided in the best possible way.
My sentiments exactly!
Woah those look good. Move over Poutine!
I can’t wait to try the recipe! I love nachos.
YUM! Those look AMAZING. We love nachos.
This recipe looks yummy! Perfect for our next family get together. Thanks! 🙂
I think they both look fantastic!
Both look good
I will try these as soon as I get a new grill! I had to leave my Weber grill in another state when we moved. I used to grill several times a week – even in winter. This recipe looks great!
This grill is beautiful! What a fun and delish sounding recipe to make on it too!