Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks copycat): Make your own iced pumpkin spice lattes for around $2 and stop overpaying for your favorite fall iced latte drink.
Even as fall sets in, I’m not quite ready to give up my iced lattes. I can’t help it! Now that I’ve figured out how to so easily and cheaply make them at home, I’ve been on a roll with them since May when the weather started to warm up.
My go to is this iced vanilla latte. But as soon as fall hits – and I do mean the actual first day of fall, not the Starbucks first day of fall when they release the pumpkin spice latte – I’m all about the homemade PSL.
So I decided late in the summer that I would need to come up with my own iced pumpkin spice latte recipe this fall. Since I started working at home in June, I’ve decreased my Starbucks consumption exponentially and I seriously can’t even tell you how much money I’ve saved by making my iced lattes at home.
Hundreds of dollars, I would suspect! And that has made a pretty big impact on our monthly budget!
Before I dig too deeply into this iced PSL recipe, let’s go back to the basics of making an iced latte at home first.
Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
First, you need espresso. I’ve seen a few iced latte recipes out there that call for strongly brewed coffee and ummm?
No. A latte is made with espresso. Plain and simple. Strongly brewed coffee will not give you the same flavor (and caffeine jolt) as espresso will.
You can make your espresso with a stove top espresso maker or with an espresso machine. I use this Nespresso machine with these espresso pods and the machine has been an absolute workhorse in our kitchen for the past 3 years.
There are other brands of single brew espresso machines aside from Nespresso too so do your homework to see what works best for you before you purchase one.
Smells Like Home readers have been buying these cans of brewed espresso and while I can’t speak to how good they are, I wanted to throw them out there as an option for you too.
You need also milk. Any kind of milk will work for an iced latte.
I know Starbucks offers whipped cream as a topping, but I don’t see the point in this for an iced latte. It’s just not my thing.
And lastly, although completely optional, you can add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice over the top of the finished drink. It adds a bit of extra pumpkin flavor and I just love it!
How to Make an Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte
To make an iced pumpkin spice latte at home, you’ll take your espresso and pour it over a glass filled with ice. The espresso can be hold or cold when you do this and I tend to make mine with hot espresso because I don’t have the patience to wait for it to cool down.
But I made my creamer to use in different recipes and I wanted something a bit thicker and richer than a flavored simple syrup.
Next, pour in your milk. You’ll need 6 to 8 ounces of milk for a 16 ounce glass.
Stir everything up well and then add a sprinkle of some pumpkin pie spice if you wish.
And there you have it! A homemade iced pumpkin spice latte! Could that have been any easier to make?
- Pour the espresso over the ice in a 16 oz glass (see note below).
- Add pumpkin spice creamer to the glass.
- Pour milk into the glass and stir until the milk, creamer, and espresso are combined.
- Sprinkle a little pumpkin pie spice over the top, if desired.
You can either brew the espresso directly over the ice if you have an espresso machine or make the espresso on the stove top and pour it over the ice. The espresso can be hot or cold when you pour it over the ice.
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.
- Breville Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine, Chrome
- Breville-Nespresso USA BNV250CRO1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine, Bundle - Chrome
- Nespresso Vertuoline Espresso Assortment
- De'Longhi 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- Bialetti Moka stove top coffee maker, 6 -Cup, Aluminum
- illy Classico Espresso Ground Coffee, Medium Roast, Classic Roast with Notes of Chocolate & Caramel, 100% Arabica Coffee, All-Natural, No Preservatives, 8.8 Ounce, Ground for Espresso Machines
- Bodum Pavina 2.5-Ounce Double-Wall Thermo Glasses (Espresso/Shot), Set of 2
- Ball Mason Jar-16 oz. Clear Glass Wide Mouth - Set of 4
- Hiware 12-Pack Stainless Steel Metal Straws Curved with 2 Cleaning Brush - Reusable Drinking Straws For 30oz / 20oz Tumblers Yeti, Dishwasher Safe