Cheddar Bacon Biscuits: Biscuits are a perfect side to so many meals and these cheddar bacon biscuits are truly fantastic! Crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside, they’ll be devoured in no time!
Adding to our starch-fest dinner for Kyle’s birthday a couple of weeks ago were these cheddar-bacon biscuits I found on the Williams-Sonoma website. I pulled this recipe from the website a few months back and really hadn’t planned on the “right” meal to make these with until Kyle’s birthday dinner.
What a nice addition these cheddar biscuits were! I’ve made plenty of biscuits in my time – 5 ingredient cream biscuits, jalapeño cheddar biscuits, buttermilk drop biscuits, sausage and cheddar biscuits are some of my faves – and these really were so easy to make!
I even prepared and refrigerated the dough about an hour before I planned on baking them for two reasons:
- So that I wouldn’t be rushing to make them while I cooked everything else, and more importantly,
- So that the butter in the dough would remain very cold until I was ready to bake them.
These biscuits turned out crunchy on the outside, soft and flakey on the inside, and full of flavor.
I’ll definitely make these again but will half the recipe next time because 10 large biscuits was just too much for the 2 of us to eat.
What to serve these biscuits with
As you probably already know, biscuits pair really easily with lots of meals. These cheddar biscuits would be so so great with meatloaf and mashed potatoes, a hot bowl of broccoli cheddar soup, or even this roast chicken with tiny potatoes.
Cheddar Bacon Biscuits
Cheddar bacon biscuits are the perfect side dish for so many cozy comfort meals. The secret to making tender, flaky biscuits is all about the butter. Work quickly while cutting the butter into the flour mixture so it doesn’t melt too much before you put the biscuits in the oven.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp table salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 bacon slices, finely chopped and fried until crisp
- 1 ½ cups milk (skim works fine)
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 400º F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal. Using a fork, stir in the cheese, chives and bacon using a fork until evenly distributed. Mix in the milk with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Use a large spoon or cookie scoop, drop the dough into 10 mounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a biscuit comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
adpated from Williams-Sonoma
Those look fantastic, my hubby would love them!
These look wonderful!! I would be more than happy to sample one for you. 😉
YUM! I have to try these, and soon!
Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too 🙂
click here for food recipes
oh.my.gosh! My mouth just dropped when I saw this post. They look so good!
So I gave these a try this weekend and WOW. My weirdo husband said that they “didn’t have any taste to them,” but that’s why he’s a weirdo.
It occurred to me that if you slice these in half, throw some scrambled eggs on them and a bit more cheese, you’d have something VERY close to a McDonald’s bacon, egg and cheese biscuit! And after all the greasey, hangover induced breakfasts I’ve eaten, I know my MCD’s breakfast. :o)
Thanks for sharing!!