This baked chicken burrito recipe with sour cream poblano sauce are a phenomenal way to change up your burrito game! They’re simple to make and freeze perfectly for future meals!
I start off most of my mornings with a cup of coffee.
Sometimes I make it at home. Sometimes it’s on the run on the way to work or on the way home from the gym, which happens before work and usually involves a LOT of rushing around.
But it’s part of my routine and even though I look like a whirling dervish most mornings on my way out the door (like this morning when I dropped my laptop in an effort to muscle my way through the door at 6:30am with my purse, work bag, gym bag, and laptop bag strung over my arms), I’m happy with my little routine.
My afternoon routine is much more serene. Come home, make dinner, relax.
Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I meet with my trainer at 4:00. By the time I pull myself into the house, it’s all I can do to move.
So it’s those nights where throwing a simple meal together or reheating leftovers works best. These baked burritos serve both purposes.
On the table in about half an hour and filled to the brim with Tex-Mex-y ground chicken and black beans, this meal rejuvenates my weary body.
The sour cream poblano sauce is spicy and cool at the same time. It’s a genius sauce since it reheats perfectly for leftovers!
If you want to go a step further, make your own tortillas. They’re TOTALLY worth the effort and will set push these burritos right to the top of your weekly rotation!
How to Freeze These Chicken Burritos
Freezing burritos is a great way to ensure a quick and easy meal in the future. To freeze these chicken burritos, simply assemble them and freeze the unbaked burritos on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
When the burritos are completely frozen, put them in a zip-top freezer bag, squeeze out all of the air, and freeze them for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat Burritos
And speaking of leftovers, these burritos reheat like champs! This recipe yields 4 large burritos so if you want, you can bake all of them and then reheat leftovers quickly in the microwave. After they have warmed up, throw them in the oven to crisp up the tortillas and then cover them with some of the reheated poblano sauce.
If you’ve frozen the burritos, take as many as you need from the bag and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400° F and bake them for around 25 minutes. The inside of the burrito should be around 160° F when measured with an instant read thermometer.
This is pretty much my favorite meal from over the past few weeks and I may even make a big batch this weekend to have in the freezer at the ready on those crazy kinds of days.
What to Serve with Chicken Burritos
Since there isn’t any rice in these burritos, my go-to side dish for these burritos is cilantro lime rice which is a fantastic way to soak up some of that poblano sauce. If you want to go in a different direction, Mexican street corn or this street corn salad would both be delicious.
If you’re looking for other easy weeknight Tex-Mex recipes, you must try these:
- Spicy bean burritos
- Black bean and spinach quesadillas with toasted cumin seed crema
- Southwest chicken chopped salad with chipotle honey dressing
For the burritos:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup water or beef broth
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 4-8 tortillas, depending on size (4 for large burritos, 8 for medium burritos)
- Cooking spray
For the sour cream poblano sauce:
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- ⅔ cup chicken broth at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream (light is fine) or non-fat Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400º F and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To make the burritos: Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and then add the oil. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften. Place the ground chicken in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned. (At this point, drain any excess fat if necessary/desired). Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 30-60 seconds before adding in the beans. Add the water or broth, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne, brown sugar and salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon). Reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the cheese at the end of each tortilla (depending on size) and then spoon some of the beef and bean mixture over the top. Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla in, and then roll the tortilla up, from the end closest to you, to the top. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet and lightly spray the tops of the burritos with cooking spray. Bake for about 20 minutes, until tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place the poblanos directly over a gas burner. Using tongs, turn occasionally until skin is blackened on all sides. Place in a bowl and top with plastic wrap or a clean towel, until cook enough to handle. (Alternatively, you can roast the peppers under the broiler until all sides are well-charred.) Peel the peppers, remove the stems and seeds, and dice them.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter; stir in the flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and then the diced poblano; continue to simmer, whisking frequently, until thickened. Stir in the sour cream/yogurt and warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the sauce over the baked burritos.
adapted from Elly Says Opa
As a member of the Amazon Associate affiliate program, I earn a small percentage from your qualifying Amazon purchases when you click the Amazon links on this page. I'm not informed of who purchases what, just of what products are purchased.
Spring Chef Stainless Steel Box Grater (Large)
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Set of 12-inch and 9-inch Stainless-Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs, Set of 2
Reynolds Kitchens Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Baking Sheets - 12x16 Inch, 22 Count
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Half Sheet 13 x 18 Inch